Thread: On Empathy
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I understand.

Alan and I don't live near any of our family. We live in Brooklyn, and everybody else lives in New Jersey.

His family AND my family.

We have missed so many family get togethers because Alan hasn't driven in 6 years. I remember 40 or so years ago, when, if a family member didn't drive, SOMEONE came and picked them up. My Aunt Lucy didn't drive so one of my mother's other 4 sister's husbands came and got my Aunt Lucy. This was every weekend. Every Sunday, every friday night. Someone went and picked up Aunt Lucy, brought her over to my house (with everybody else) and then at night, SOMEONE always took her home. My Aunt Angie also. In those days, it was never thought of to get together and leave someone out.

But most of these people have passed away and my generation is not the same and my mother's generation. The people today are entirely more self absorbed. Even if they drive, well, they are too enmeshed in their own lives to think of going out of their comfort zone and pick up someone.

I would never asked to be picked up. In the past, if access-a-ride took us to a person's house, and then we had to go to ANOTHER person's house via a car, Alan and I would always pay for the gas. I don't care how rich a person is, if I'm riding in that car and they are driving, I chip in for the gas.

But now the Access-a-ride is on strike, and even if you get a trip you are told "we can't guarantee that someone will come and you can't bring a guest'. So I had to skip Cornell last Friday. They are mailing me my meds.

They are very nice at Cornell.

But we are used to having at least the Access-a ride to get us places. Now we don't even have that.

How sad that families are so spread apart. Nothing beats a cup of coffee and some muffins and some family chat time.

I guess the world really changed, didn't it??

melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote