Thread: On Empathy
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Empathy....

I am going to try and address different sets of issues that have come up here?
1] Babies responses? Maybe it's the 'smell'? We know with animals that smells and imprinting are key to bonding issues...maybe that it a key initial primal sense? People who smell 'good' are more attractive than those with medical diseases or conditions? Think of all the 'meds' we take...Maybe they make us 'nasty' to kids? I just read a study about 'smell imprinting+ pain connections' Ill try to find it and post it.....
2] 'Empathy' regarding our diseases? Well, the lack of education does foster ignorances, by others...WE have to be day-to-day advocates to start, no ...stop the bias of 'mis-informations' that float out on the news and others sources...we have to WRITE and state how silly it is to believe that whatever we have 'IS CATCHING"....
3] and most important about empathy....How many of us have an 'Aunt Hattie' or equivalent with dementia in our midst? I have a FIL...and he is snug in a care center about 500 miles away. IS it worth it to go see him for a 'possible' five minutes of lucidity on any given day?
4] Lastly...That said, IF one has a serious and long term chronic illness..most family members cannot deal with it after about 2-3 years...attachments aside..they are already divvieing up any potential assests...you are well, written off. I say this from long experiences, a set of parents who died from chronic issues, then a bunch of siblings who are also dealing with some 'similar issues' but not necessarily related [Thanks to all you dealing with the genetics?] and well, some folks are either too self centered or indifferent to care to share or just be with those who are home-bound. It's not always a nice place to be! Yet, if one on these boards were nearby to me, and offered any help...there might be a time I sure would appreciate the offer! Even if only for some small bit of 'forbidden' coffee? Some live in big cities where 'resources' of many types for 'access' are available and not expensive. I live in a clear cut suburb, and while some 'resources' are out there...they are sporadic. Not long ago, I drove an older person back to her 'retirement community' because the 'arranged ride' well.for the ride home...evaporated! It was a cold wet day..no sense for a neuro person to stand out in in the wet and cold...when I was gonna go not far from there on my way home. It IS when we need constant Medical Appointments...and trying to be independent, that we cannot always rely on 'friends or family'...they did their ten turns! Doing more, helping others, well pay-backs come round full circle in time... Anyone who can? DO it now and soon! Your turn may come fast, and then you can find out how frustrating it IS!
Empathy? It to me is realizing that what goes around comes back...and if you haven't had it...the lack will come and bite your backside! Or kick it or whatever...SUE YOU THERE??? I think you could elaborate better here?
-j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote