Thread: On Empathy
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 09:53 AM
In Memorium

15 yr Member
In Memorium

15 yr Member
Default Couple Things

In regards to illnes alone - MRS d - yes, I think many people are afraid of what may happen to THEM - stare, run, stay away....... until it happens to them.....

Empathy overall I see as an true genuine caring for someones needs and trying to understand WHY and WHAT they may need.... there are folks petrified to go to funerals - death is part of life - just visiting a hopsital freaks others out..... etc.... but empathy sometimes is just reaching out to others in whatever way you can to say "I hear you are in pain and if I can help - let me know" - thats it... if you are lucky enought to grow up in a home where you are surrounded by people who understand this - more power - and, it should be learned as we get older, and used to be - but certainly doesnt seem to be any longer.

Our society today does allow for practically no contact - by choice or not - things like email dating, etc.. can it be more impersonal? "e" cards? (I dont even bother to open them - take two minutes and WRITE our your card).... dont want to talk to a person on the phone - screen them and just e response - again - no personal contact - no social skills needed... we're losing the ability to truly care and feel for each other.....

I remember as kid once a month visiting a local retirement home and adjoining nursing home - it scared us - the folks were old, and in the nursing home, very sick and most of the time seemed oblivious - but it was rewarding - because it was obvious we were appreicated and our visits much anticipated.... we always see on the days BEFORE the major holidays here major "stars" serving food at the homeless missions.. BUT - they still have their holiday off - and the real heroes here are the people who do this every single day... they get no credit - but they dont need the press - they know they are helping and making a difference, and thats what counts.....

I guess we could go back and forth about this forever - but lets face it - people are becoming socially retarded - chosing to not interact because it may bring up feelings they dont know how to relate to or handle.... the true heroes are those who can reach out and even for a second - touch somene else, again, with something as simple as a hug....

Last edited by BEGLET; 12-17-2007 at 11:01 AM.
BEGLET is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote