Thread: On Empathy
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Sue:

How sweet of you. But I know Alan. He doesn't socialize. It took him 25 years to pick up the phone to speak to his sister (it was like pulling teeth). He is not a sociable person. You would never know this from watching the video. But I believe my husband has Aspergers Disorder. Too many signs. And my son has been diagnosed also. My husband could sit all day long and watch tv or go on the computer.

I was never encouraged to have company in the early years of my marriage because we both worked and well, that's the way he liked it. I did most of my socializing at my friend's homes.

I can count on my hands the number of times I've had company to my house (I've lived in this part of Brooklyn for 15 years).

Now growing up, my mother and father had 10 brothers and sisters so we always had company.

But Alan is a different sort. He prefers his solitude. That what's makes us so compatible. Can you imagine if we were both like that?? I can't.

I'm lucky he likes to go to the neuropathy support group once a month. And we used to go to Tough Love meetings when our son was 12. Then it was Gamanon meetings when he moved out and we found out he was a gambler. Then it was Aspergers Support Groups when our son was diagnosed with Aspergers.

It seems that all we do is go to support group meetings. Hey, it's better than nothing.

I do thank you Sue for thinking of me. Tomorrow Alan goes to see the Orthopedic surgeon (his first visit). He gets up at 5:30 to be there at 8 a.m. And no, I'm not going with him. I don't get up at 5:30 a.m. for ANYONE.

Not anymore. I like my sleep.

So Sue, you are a sweetie. I'm glad others enjoyed my video. I do like to laugh, now don't I??

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote