View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 02:37 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Many thanks for all of your kind replies - as always !!!!
We are totally convinced that this is a flare-up and spread of the RSD
Alisons arm never totally settled down after the last flare so I'm not really surprised that a slight knock has caused this
I have just heard back from the hospital that the Consultant will be seeing us along with the physio on Thursday to discuss the flare. Hopefully he will nip the psychological talk in the bud should the physio go down that route again !!!
Yesterday afternoon I took Alison to our local HBO Centre (50 miles away).
They have had some sucess in treating RSD patients and are hopful they can reduce some of the symptoms, though obviously neither myself or Alison expect it to be a cure !!!
The centre offers treatment in a programme developed by an RSD Consultant in Scotland who has used this therapy on many occasions in the past
We have to get our doctor to sign a consent form and Alison will start treatment early in the New Year
The Centre recommend a series of 20 dives over a four week period, with increasing depth until some benefit is felt. Dependant on results Alison will then begin a maintenance phase of 1-2 dives a week or alternatively if we feel the HBO treatment has not been useful we can discontinue at any time
The staff at the centre have warned us that Alisons pain levels may increase over the first few sessions as her limbs become exposed to more oxygen that they are used to but this should be a temporary effect as her body adjusts to the treatment
I now have to convince my employers to allow me the time off work to take Alison to the Centre every afternoon for the first month and pray that we do not have a really bad winter which will prevent us from making the daily journey
I'll let you all know how it goes
Thanks again
Andrea