Thread: On Empathy
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 10:08 AM
In Memorium

15 yr Member
In Memorium

15 yr Member
Default Neighbors

Gotta agree about neighbors! I rememerber as kids we got the "boot" out the door every mornining (if not off to school) - there were several families of kids on our very tiny street - and all parents agreed - no t.v. period - we were to play together (or fight - which ever we chose), we alllowed to run between the houses and whatever parent was in resident would keep an eye on us - use the kitchens where we were could bake or eat lunch etc... just keep em cleaned up - play games until they turned into "war" at which we all keel over in exhuastion or it got dark - ride bikes until we crashed or whatever - just play with each other and when called for dinner - magically reappear... I'm sure they were keeping a much closer look on us then we realized - but i know the parents helped out each other watching the kids when one was sick, or whatever they had to deal with....

So yes, todays society probably is much more difficult for kids to learn to interact - physical restrictions - and also the structured lives they now (CHOOSE?) to lead with endless organized sports etc..... and thats another can of worms I wont pop open! (and on that note - since when do parents to kids homework? mine sure didn't - but my friends are always doing their kids homework with them? dont get it - thought that is why they were in school????)
BEGLET is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote