View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Mono is confusing...

When I was young, I had a severe case of it. For two weeks I had a 104 fever that spiked and crashed and was very sick. I went back to college (it was Xmas) and they did a mono test and I was very positive. Then the sore throat came, after the fever stopped, and they put me off saying it was common and viral.
Well, it was STAPH and I finally made them culture it. Seems that the virus weakens you and you get opportunistic infections any time during the course.

My son's mono 4 yrs ago was much milder. He did not have the fever, but after about 2 weeks of feeling terrible, his throat swelled up. It was May and he had
just come home for the summer, so I sent him to my doctor. She thought mono right away, and did a mono spot...but his throat was a mess. No strep or staph in it but she gave him Amoxicillin and that knocked it out. He was really tired for the whole summer and part of the fall, however.

Mono is very debilitating.

And any severe infection will throw off the blood work for a while.
If you have EBV/mono, your liver functions may go crazy. My son's were terrible for over 6mos, and he had to cancel plans for the wisdom tooth extraction he was planning. Doctor wouldn't let him do it.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote