View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 11:22 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Yes we are fortunate...

We did find someone who has all the credentials to practice TCM, both in China and in the states at Georgetown University and University of Maryland. The herbs used by this doc are very safe and most are classified as foods or spices; China has done a lot of research on herbs and combining them with western medicine. TCM views all food and herbs as medicine. So if you have a heat condition, warming foods are not good for you. So beef and venison have been added to our grocery list along with Goji berries. TCM is too new in the USA for most to have a level of comfort with it but China has thousands of years of experience. I look back on all the treatments and drugs/herbs, both western and alternative, that John has done and by far, the western medicine has caused the most harm. I know people will say “ but he’s alive” and that is true but something is wrong with our system when restoring health is not part of our health care. His recovery is pretty much in our hands since western medicine can’t help much. It’s not in the medical model and not covered by insurance. All anyone wants to do is to throw another drug at him which does not restore health. Drugs have their place and I am not against western medicine. But it does have its challenges. I do agree that you need to be very cautious with all medical decisions, western and alternative. Both make claims that can be very misleading and I do understand why there’s concern using TCM in light of all the quality control problems in China. But let’s not forget that the USA also has problems with the quality with meat production, produce, environmental toxins, etc. The use of hormones and antibiotic in livestock continues even though it’s well know that it’s a problem. We import so much from other countries and only a small percentage of things are checked. Yes there’s lead in the paint on toys from China but shame on the US Companies for not putting in quality assurance standards and checking it. China needs regulation and if they can’t do it on their end, then we must do it here because I doubt if any company is going to stop doing business in China. Too much profit is at stake. Again, our safety vs profit. BTW....Europe has banned many toxic chemicals that are used in the production of electronics and any electronics imported from China must adhere to those standards. Unfortunately, the USA still gets the toxic products unless a specific manufacture has implemented the same manufacturing standards.

Hopefully by using whole dried herbs, we’ve lessened the risk. Since John gets monthly CBCs/chem panels, we’ll be able to monitor this closely. As with all things, only time will tell.

Thank you all for your concern and just know we have not ventured into this lightly.

Marlene
Marlene is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote