Thread: advice
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 01:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello Nikki,
Sorry you are feeling as though you are not being listened to at the moment. It is the last thing you need.

I hope this new PM doctor will be able to give you and your mum some answers and there will be a concrete plan of care for you that will be one you feel confident with.
It is also a confusing time for your mum too. I am sure she only wants what is best for you . Being a mum just comes with feeling the intense need to "fix" you. It is hard for her too as she gets so many mixed and confusing messages from health professionals.
Being asked to have a mental health consult is NOT inferring that they think your CRPS is in your head but the psychological part of CRPS is huge. I realise that to some people there is an instant need to reject the suggestion that this has anything to do with the mind and I am a strong believer that whilst this is not a disease that is caused by psychological problems it can quickly become a big part of our problems when pain is such a huge part of our lives.
It is not a sign of being crazy or weak, how do we go through this without experiencing depression or some type of post traumatic stress disorder
Having said this I DO believe that this can impact us getting better when fear and confusion contribute to losing faith and our focus on getting better.
This does not make anyone less of a person to need psychological support, it is an important part of the multidisciplinary approach to the care of CRPS.

I am pretty sure I know which Doctor and Children's Hospital that you are referring to as I have read about him in many different forums and it does seem that despite what some people may perceive of him he has a wonderful team which gets some excellent results, some of which I have read as quoted by his patients.

Treating children certainly requires an entirely different approach to treating adults, this is why it is so important that you have a team which you feel confident has your best interests at heart. Sometimes treatments might sound just too scary or impossible but please remember that the chance that you will get better is so much more likely because of your age.

Nikki you are not mad, it is not in your head but having psychological help as part of your care is imperative. Depression and fear and the feeling of helplessness really can make our pain worse and therefore impact our healing.

I am sending you wishes that your best Christmas present this year will be having a new PM doctor and team which will listen to what you are really saying and that will include you in decison making about a management plan that you all can feel confident about.
Love and luck
Tayla
tayla4me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote