View Single Post
Old 12-24-2007, 01:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Do you think there comes a time when it's better to work with what you've got than keep chasing a shadow with a slim chance at catching it?

I think I will have to answer this in a few different ways and I hope this is not confusing.

First of all, I think you have every right and very well should be an integral part of your treatment plan. If you are exhausted going from doctor to doctor, this does not seem like a good plan to me.

Your doctor should be willing to scale back to only the essential doctors and tests. You might tell him that you would like to be informed of any doctors he hears about that are doing new research that relates to symptoms you are experiencing or likely dxs.

In addition, it would be wise of you to read up on anything you can yourself on these things. This way, you can ask your doctor yourself if he has heard of certain things. If he is good, when you leave, he will ask his colleagues or research himself information that he is unsure of.

Another approach would be simply to tell the doctor that you would like to take a "breather" from visiting so many doctors and/or taking many tests. Perhaps for a period of time...3 months, six months, etc. You have every right to feel like you need a break. Again, this is one option.

Even while recuperating from illness, during periods of improvement...patients can and often do their own research. And during down times, they might get the extra rest they need (this includes emotional and spiritual rest...not just physical) they need to recuperate.

A few important things that are important: One needs to be aware of the body's needs; to be willing to speak up about it; and to continually move forward...even if it is at a different pace as someone else.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Idealist (01-09-2008)