View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 08:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I also have Sjogren's syndrome. My strength and mobility have been very slowly declining for the past decade or so, particularly in my hands where I have very little remaining grip strength. The big thing that limits my activity, though, is severe fatigue that keeps me from walking more than a city block (on a good day, two) without rest.

I use a wheelchair part time, mostly when I need to go someplace that would normally require a lot of walking. On the very rare occasions when I can shop, I have to use one of those motorized carts to get around places like Target or a grocery store. But even using those devices is tiring, and I require someone to push my wheelchair because my hands are too painful to steer myself very long.

The thing that has helped me the most has been aquacise sponsored by the Arthritis Foundation. I've been doing this for four years, and I have managed to maintain excellent range of motion even if I can't move very fast. I believe I have slowed my decline at least somewhat.

I honestly don't know if my strength and mobility problems are related to the neuropathy or not, since Sjogren's is the cause of both. But I hope it helps to know that you aren't alone.

fanfaire