View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 11:25 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question

You've all been so supportive. I tried to be brief in my initial post and didn't get into a lot of detail. Since several of you asked questions, I’m providing more detail.

I'm 61 y/o female veteran and receive most of my care at a VA Medical Ctr. Up to a few years ago I felt my care was second to none, but with yearly under funding, doctor and nursing shortage and continued increasing vet enrollment, access has become a real problem. The hospital staff, bless their hearts, are so grossly over worked, but still are friendly.

Nevertheless, discoid lupus and Undifferentiated Connective tissue Disease Dx'd in 2003, and I started noticing severe walking fatigue. Since then ANA panels plus many more lab tests over and over since 2003. My ANA has been consistently positive for autoimmune antibodies at 2560:1 and I always have UTIs.

My eye Dr is treating me for macular problems and says it looks like Sjogren's and my Neurologist Dx'd mild PN (before major numbness set in) and said it looks like Sjogren's. My Rheumatologist says yes it likes like Sjogren's for all "these reasons" and listed all the reasons why, but will not make Sjogren's Dx because SSA or SSB is not positive. She knows 20-30% never show positive and primary Sjogren's is seldom positive. She thinks something else hasn't shown up yet?

Urologist tested and tested decided my sensory/muscle control nerves aren't working and I have to self-cath 4x/d to empty my bladder. This should take care of my UTIs, but since then incontinence has developed.

My Rheumatologist, Neurologist, Ophthalmologist are Non VA doctors. I have to make an appointment with a Gastroenterologist as, like my bladder, I have no internal feeling. I don’t know I have a bm coming until I sit known to pee. I think bowel incontinence is next.

I worked my way from cane to walker, scooter and now powerchair. Each time I changed I felt defeated. Still I walk with my home as much as I can. I get totally exhausted as walking just 10-20 feet. Showering (use chair) dressing is exhausting as well.

I’m afraid that I’m developing a fatalistic view because what can any of these doctors do to change the outcome? I know meds can help me live with it. I realized I talking to my peer group whom share my illnesses and feelings.

Jamie Marie
mmebtterfly is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote