Thread: Anniversary
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 12:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Anniversary

At this time 8 years ago, I was in a hospital in south Florida having "minor arthorascopic surgery" on my left hip. It was supposed to be an outpatient procedure and I would be "good as new" and back at work in a short time according to my surgeon.

Here I am, eight years later, living in another state, unable to work and barely able to take care of myself. I am getting SSDI and help from medicaid. I get foodstamps and help for heat and utilities. Without this help I would not be able to make it. I have lost my pride in being able to put in a good day's work and now feel rather useless. The only thing that keeps me going is my grandchildren. They are full of love and life and it is a joy to watch them grow.

I came out of the surgery with a severe sciatic nerve injury that developed into RSD. It just goes to show how quickly your life change - a fall, an accident, minor surgery, and you are forced to adapt to a new life.

I am going to try to finish painting my porch roof (the underside) today. I started it in June and have been able to do just a little bit at a time. In my other life I could have done it in about 2 hours. I will definitley feel like I accomplished something substantial because I did it all by myself!

Our goals may have changed but at least we still keep on truckin. I admire anyone with RSD who still continues to work or is still raising a family. Those who were once bedridden and now walk with a cane, those of us who can now comb their own hair or make a pot of coffee. To those (an all of us) I say "WELL DONE"

Lil
Diamond Lil is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote