View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Sandy, these tests are

pretty straightforward, tho some folks say they go thru the ROOF and above with some of them. For me, I felt nothing or very little once my PN was well-established. Kept asking WHEN are they going to start? Turned out they were done! Dead nerves? You bet! Some soreness with the test that they sick the sensors into your skin and muscle tho...kind of like accupuncture but only no benefit, other than test results [or non-results].
Do keep in mind that test results CAN vary, and at times widely, from piece of test equiment to the next, and how skillful the test tech/doc is as well. The longer you have progressing problems, the less likely you are to have an inconclusive test result. I know that the three tests I'd had from ER to diagnosis a year later, results indicated greater detrioration. Because of machine and testor variables, that's why new docs want to do their own testing...from sources they trust.
Lastly? Be sure you and your skin/body is warm and comfy in any test room! There is documentation that test results can show false good results if'n your nerves and skin and body are too cold during the tests!
Here is a respected neuro's discussion on this issue:
http://www.onecallmedical.com/PDFs/E...0ISSUE%205.pdf
I can attest to the fact that I'd had to have one nerve conduction test re-done due to my feet turning blue on their own during the tests?
Hope this all helps! - j

OH by the way? The tests themselves really don't actually take that long! Most of it is hurry up and wait, set up [be prepared for lots and lots of INK marks where they are going to put sensors] then more wait...Testing itself is usually about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes each. BORING! just try to keep warm and sorta nap in between. Don't get anxious about it all. It's gotta be done, like other 'maintenance' exams we all do!
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote