View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 07:12 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default away with taboo!

too often i have heard people speak about suicides in the news with gross insensitivity. too often i have had to avoid the subject, or spoken and been scoffed at, "shut up" in various ways, or alienated ppl.

i FIRMLY believe talk of suicide and other strong subjects inherent to our illness should not be taboo in places like liz's blog, or here. Also that such talk be free such that the poster not "feel it is taboo" - but maybe that is my problem.

i need a place free of taboo where we can talk openly about these things, because yes they are daily, minute-ly issues even, for many of us, and i daresay all of us have had the thoughts.

Bizi, what you posted captures some of my problem with all the trigger stuff and hedging around the strong issues we face daily... it felt to me like a taboo here too, and at BT when the trigger stuff came about. i understood painfully well that i could still "talk about anything," but the action of flagging things like suicide was a deterrant for me from posting about it, no more no less than the overall social taboo is a deterrant. posting about it then felt like taboo just as much as face to face. And so...

too often i would choose not to post, just as i would choose not to talk.

A scary silence.

i have noticed here in this forum that gradually the "trigger trend" has lessened ... and i am soooooooo grateful for that. And also that things have relaxed and talk is more open and frank about these things. i hope my pointing this out does not result in a sudden reversal to the treading on eggs as it was before, lol.

indeed, it is one of the reasons i felt ok to come and post more regularly... even if currently i am not face to face with suicide.

Bizi, i didn't really respond to your emphasis

but i guess i wanted to express my own emphasis.

~ waves ~ will update on my own status today - in my thread tho