Thread: Levaquin
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 09:41 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't plan on ever taking one again. My neurologist never ask me if I had taken any of the fluoroquinolones. I just happen to stumble across it on my own. I will bring it up at my next app. in about 4 weeks.
Another question about a drug. I know drugs like neurontin are used to treat nerve damage but I noticed anticonvulsants are also listed as drugs that can cause it. I have taken neurontin for almost 10 yrs. for a bladder condition called interstitial cystitis. I did ask my neurologist about this and she said absolutely not, that neurontin does not cause nerve damage. However, when I first started taking neurontin, my feet began tingling.
Here is a study I found:
Abstract The risk that antiepileptic drugs may cause damage to the peripheral nervous system led us to investigate 12 patients on carbamazepine and 12 patients on phenobarbital with the thermal threshold test. The heat and cold thresholds were measured at the ankle and wrist and, compared with those in 30 healthy subjects, they proved to be significantly higher. When the two groups of epileptics were compared separately with the controls, their thresholds were always higher. These findings are consistent with a toxic effect of both drugs on fine peripheral nerve fibers
elsie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote