View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 01:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imahotep View Post
There are very low correlations except for pain and this might be explained by greatly reduced activity during the trial. I (and many others) have pain primarily as a result of using the affected extremity or overdoing things.

3% of RSD patients don't experience pain. If my only problem were pain then I'd not always have much of a problem. I tend to lose consciousness when pain gets up to about level 8 so it's hard to imagine suffering such high level pain all the time. I also have a great deal of difficulty believing that RSD has a significant psychological component or real world similarities to those with conversion disorders. I was not under a great deal of stress when I contracted this and it's real enough that a heart attack has seemed preferable.

I find the whole thing a little incomprehensible and insulting. Thanks for posting it anyway, though.

Hi there,

I am unable to get the link up yet but am working on it but I just want to comment on your take on pain levels.
Like you, and using the 0-10 pain scoring levels then I agree that 9 and above leaves no functionability. I am fainting, vomiting etc and yet constantly am surprised to read people with these pain levels who can talk, eat and use the internet.
So what does this mean? Does it mean that some people are "tougher" or some people are "weaker"? Does it simply mean that some people will say 9/10 to try and express just how miserable their pain is making them even though by interpretation of the system it is probably more likely to be a couple of numbers down the scale? Does it really mean the system is flawed and definitely not an accurate way of assessing pain even though it is accepted and used world wide on a daily basis?
Does it mean that some people do not know what each level out of 10 represents as by virtue of this interpretation then 9 or 10 out of 10 pain would certainly not see us sitting at a computer writing with such clarity?

What it does show is how individual we all are but what it also means is that somewhere along the way those who appear to be able to function at levels of pain that render most into a gibberring mess will probably be questioned as to the reality of their pain.
It isn't fair but if we are going to keep quoting a pain level out of 10 then we must truly look at what each number level means otherwise this age old system that is so needed in the Recovery and Emergency Rooms to give the most appropriate type of analgesia stands the chance of being undermined and devalued., leaving it almost impossible to use it as a means to be made as pain free as humanly possible.

So sorry for digressing here and hijacking your post but I have been pondering over this for a long long time, firstly as a nurse who became quite flippant about pain when so often I was told by a patient who was watching TV and tucking into their meal that their pain level was 9 1/2 out of 10 and now as a chronic pain patient myself who has very clear behaviour for extremely high levels of pain.
I remain confused-------anyone got some thoughts?

Happy New Year to all
Love Tayla
tayla4me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote