Thread: Levaquin
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 05:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

For the last 6 years i have gotten many respiratory infections, often spaced shortly apart, which is what i am going through right now actually. IM allergic to any cillins so I have been mainly taking biaxin which is very effective for me. In 2002, i was given levaquin at times to switch off from biaxin. It has never been as effective for me as biaxin or zithromax. I know levaquin did not cause my pn since i already had it at that point though i did not know what it was yet. I have never noticed an exacerbation of PN symptoms on levaquin. The pain increases anyway when i get a respiratory infection but got no worse after levaquin use. Then in 2004 in the midst of a cluster of respiratory infections i was prescribed avalox, which is also a quinolone. I had a very bad reaction to avelox, my PN pain went off the charts, it made me nauseous and i was totally out of it. I was hospitalized at that time because of the severity and longevity of infection, wheezing, coughing, etc. and when i went off avelox in the hosptial, the pain returned to its normal level. Since then i have taken levaquin a few times and it has been ineffective but again did not cause additional pain. I have also taken cipro a few times and had no adverse reaction. At this point i wont take any quinolone antibiotics. The point of all this is that i am sure that a particular quinolone can have an effect on peripheral nerves depending on the person.

Steve how did they come to the conclusion that your PN was caused by Levaquin? I have experienced the opposite from doctors, they deny , fudge, or wont make the most obvious cause and effect relationships, even when they see the same thing over and over.
HeyJoe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote