View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 11:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Oh Gosh,

I am sorry to hear you are having to deal with such a traumatic injury for a musician especially.

There are lots of posts on here regarding double and/or triple crush TOS.

In my case, an EMG verified that I had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and that was all any Doc wanted to look at. Fortuneately, after a lot of attempts to have my cervical injury looked at as the cause of my many symptoms, TOS was suggested, investigated and diagnosed.

Now, even though I technically had CPS (or Ulnar Nerve Entrapment as some do), surgery on my wrist (or elbow), would not have been a solution. So many here have unnecessary surgeries when, in fact, the 'entrapment' is in the Thoracic Outlet.

I have posted before about my fabulous Rhuematologist, who, in his wisdom, tried the following:

1. He injected cortisone in my wrist to determine if that was the source of entrapment. There was NO improvement.

2. A few weeks later, he injected cortisone in my shoulder. My wrist pain totally disappeared for a few weeks.

Result: A simple, logical approach to determine that Carpal Tunnel surgery, would have been pointless. The 'double crush' was clearly a result of TOS.

You may consider suggesting this to your physician before any surgeries lower than your shoulder. Cortisone is not something you can tolerate routinely, so I was told I may want an injection if I were going on vacation or some such thing. I have not had any more injections, but then again, I have not messed with my wrist. As a musician, I am sure you would prefer not to have unnecessary surgeries on your elbow, or wrist.

I hope you find some answers and relief in the New Year. Music is not only a profession, but a therapy, No??

Warmly,
Anne
Bi-Coastal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote