View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 02:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Acamprosate for ALS- & ALS/Lyme page

Hello Peoples*)*!)!!

It won't let me post the ALS Lyme page link so I can't. I will post it in 10 posts*)! Because I am new again here, but I was here for years years ago. There is a IV Rocepihn trial right now where you can get ONE YEAR of IV Rocephin free or placebo unfortunately-

I used to be here years back in the Lyme section- I'm Sarah O aka CaliforniaLyme. I was a neuro mutt, now 100% symptom free, thanks to 9 months of IV Rocepihn. I was, looking back, more Parkie than anything else- I had chorea with athetosis and progressive weakness and choking and bradykinesia and lots of yucky stuff- FMS CFS MCS-

If you are in SANTA CRUZ COUNTY CA that is the #1 place for Lyme disease in CA just fyi-

Take care-
Sarah O

The acamprosate abstract is this-
it could possibly help people with TBE virus induced ALS- or plain ALS
because it is a furin inhibitor!!!!

ANYWAY- it's cheap- it won't hurt- and it COULD HELP!

Consideration of acamprosate for treatment of ALS

1: Med Hypotheses. 2007;69(4):836-7. Epub 2007 Mar 21.

Consideration of acamprosate for treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

Kast RE, Altschuler EL. Department of Psychiatry, University of Vermont, College of Medicine, 2 Church Street, Burlington, VT 05401, USA. rekast@email.com

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a fatal disease of degeneration of motor neurons. There is no known cure or life extending treatment. Much recent work has suggested that a possible cause of ALS is constitutive opening of the calcium pore in glutamate sensitive AMPA channels secondary to a failure of RNA editing that would change a crucial glutamate in the channel to arginine.

Here, we point out that the small molecule pharmaceutical acamprosate, usually used as a drug to maintain alcohol abstinence, may block this calcium pore--as do the related molecules endogenous polyamines such as putrescine, cadaverine, spermidine and spermine--and thus might have use in ALS.

PMID: 17368956
SarahO is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote