View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Thanks all for responding!

I do hope others will share their experiences and maybe, somehow we can bring this to the attention of all neuros who need more 'sensitizing'?
My very first neuro was 'benign' at best, He had done the basic MINIMAL blood, urine tests, MRI [no spine] and declared that I had to 'live with it' despite my expressed concerns that this old 'plain' neuropathy was marching towards my torso at an alarming [to me at least] rate....
After six months...I realized that I knew NOTHING about what a neuro is, does or should do. I was not internet conversant, but I'd gotten the PN handbook [now a dated classic, I think] and proceeded to learn the internet...tho sitting and typing were BIIIGG issues I took a couple quick and fast 'net courses...and then found the 'old' board..I simply sat and read all that others before me has suffered and I knew I'd found a place that UNDERSTOOD!
I then realized, not netwise, to use my medical plans' approved 'preferred' docs lists...I started calling. [after 2 other docs I see regularly for other stuff, went HUH? to Neuro #1's attitude] I found a neuro for a second opinion, who listened, especially about my fears on the progressions and how the current med I was on was destroying any life I had....Then rite off the start, new script, and the battery of MRIs Blood works and nerve conduction tests I should have had to begin with! As much as I appreciated this neuro, the progression was well, progressing..so, On to another opinion! I got by luck the head of the neuro dept at a leading area teaching hospital...He ordered all the autoimmune blood work and some other MRIs etc to rule out even other things...Spinal ensued at my current neuro's office and even more blood work ...three weeks later diagnosis and on to setting up IVIG! Soo, the second and third opinions were my charms. It was only after I'd been diagnosed that I'd gotten computer literate enuf to find sites such as this...I go to my neuro appointment, I get there early [I try to be well-trained] I expect to wait, and I KNOW that I am 90% of the visits going to get quality time with the doc. I have had to see 3 other neuros for other issues since and One I love, the second I'd tolerate, the third I'd stay away from as he approached me with all of those 'pre-conceived' biases rite off.

The BEST way to approach a new doc after seeing another has been in my experience: We don't seem to communicate well. Surprising how the new doc will 'nod' and just go on. W/my current neuro, cannot tell you how many other of his current patients are former's of that first one! When one has to 'wait' extra time in a room, folks get talking!

As for the Lyme's and neuropathies? Maybe the Mods could and really should pull parts of our posts out an make it a new thread. WHY? IT Mimics lots of PN issues, and vice-versa....It deserves a discussion on it's own. I respect Lymes' I know many who have it...or mite have it...in our area more folks have it than are truly diagnosed. Gee! I've been even tested for West Nile! Neg of course, but one can never tell.

Onward, please folks...Put it out HERE! Some doc's gonna read it! They need to know how we feel about THEM! They aren't only docs, they run businesses and have staff working for them who depend on them! It's a multi-road intersection - and we are the key traffic! Hugs to all! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote