View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006, 06:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default My reply to abundant life question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyM View Post
When God created the world, he rested!
When Jesus died on the cross, he said "It is Finished!"What was finished? The payment for our sin debt. He not only died to satisfy a righteous God's requirement for justice, but He died to give us an abundant life. Why are we not living this abundant life? Maybe we are? Any ideas?
Why are we not living this abundant life? Good question. Seven years ago, I never did though I didn't see it at the time. Now, I am very inconsistent but I have some conclusions. Abundant life comes from depending on Christ, abiding and resting in Him. Judy, I think you were describing in your first post the abundant life. But then, let's get real. How does this happen practically speaking? I think it begins to happen through brokenness. The health issues come up and we just can't bear the pain. Relationships with our spouse or children bring us to our knees. We loose a job and are at wits end on how are we going to make the house payment. Is it possible that God allows suffering in our life to bring us to brokenness and ultimately to abundant life? I think so. Let's look at 2 Corinthians 1:8-9: "For we do not want you to be unaware, brethren, of our affliction which came to us in Asia, that we were burdened excessively, beyond our strength, so that we despaired even of life; indeed, we had the sentence of death within ourselves so that we would not trust in ourselves, but in God who raises the dead." Notice that even Paul was burdenened excessively and even despaired of life. Ever felt that way? Why would God allow such to a great man like Paul, who had important missionary work to accomplish, to be burdened excessively? Why would He allow such great pains to you and me? I doubt we will know all of the answers to this on this side of heaven, but I do think I know part of it. You see we all are born into this world wanting to do our own thing. Even after salvation, we continue to remain in control of our life most of the time. Oh, we may strive and try hard to live the Christian life, but at some point, with the hurts of strained relationship or the frustration with our circumstances, we feel burdened excessively to the point that we give up. "God, you are going to have to live through me." Finally, God replies: are you ready to trust me and not yourself?" Hey, this is what happened to me anyway. Is it possible God has been saying this to you through you awful circumstances? As we give up and let God teach us, we find life liveable again. Slowly, we find some peace on occasions despite circumstances. I loose this peace and continue to struggle and God gently nudges me once again to depend on him. For brief periods of time, I find myself experiencing the "abundant life" promised in John 10:10. Oh, how I want more of that life, the life of Christ living abundantly through me. Enough for now. Any comments? David
David is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote