View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 09:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlek View Post
Maybe I should post this as three categories?
1- What constitutes to YOU as a good neuro's qualities?
2- What constitutes to YOU a bad or indifferent neuro's qualities?
3- Worst of all, What constitutes the WORST qualities of some neuros?
1. It helps a great deal if a neuro is willing to treat me like an intelligent woman who also has cognitive dysfunction. In other words, have a proper discussion with me about my condition and be prepared to provide a definition once in awhile when I forget what something means or what it's called. And if a neuro doesn't know something, he/she should be willing to admit as such and make an effort to find the answer or direct me to someone who can.

2. Indifferent neuros are ones who, like shiney sue said, see diabetes on your list of diagnoses and decide that it's the answer for everything. Or blame everything on fibromyalgia without ruling anything else out. Or when their initial tests come back inconclusive assume that you are a hypochondriac and look no further.

3. The worst neuros are the ones who haven't cracked open a medical journal since they got their degree and have no interest in learning anything current. The ones who tell you that since a particular medical condition is rare that you must not have it, even if your symptoms and/or tests point to that condition. The ones with the God complex who will not let you tell them about important studies relating to your condition, who tell you that everything on the internet is garbage, who treat you like a hysterical woman even when you are being calmly assertive.

Hmmm....can you tell I've been to more docs in categories two and three than in one?? I'm perfectly willing to accept when a doc doesn't have an answer, but I expect them to at least to make an effort before they reach that conclusion.

fanfaire