View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 09:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

To me the worst neuros are those who diagnose the patient as having PN with very little or no testing and then send them on their way with theres nothing to be done except take neurontin etc. At least the neuro's who cant find anything wrong with minimal testing leave the door open to go to someone who can figure it out. How many people are walking around out there who believe what they were told that nothing can be done and are suffering needlessly? i also consider to be bad neuros those who after an intial test such as emg/ncs recommend a nerve biopsy instead of using exhausting other testing before recommending it. That was my first neuro. I knew enough at that point to search for another neuro first, but there are many people walking around with needless scarring and pain from unecessary nerve biopsies.

I ve had a few good neuro's who have done a lot of the appropriate testing and at a certain point leave it up to me as to wether i want to persue anything else. I have never had a neuro want to put me on something like IVIG just to see if it works despite no evidence of any autoimmune markers or symptoms after numerous blood tests and a spinal tap. I would add that type of neuro who use treatments such as IVIG as a diagnostic tool to the bad neuro category though i know some of you would disagree with me. IVIG , plasmapharesis, cellcept to me have too many side effects to be used as diagnostic tools.
HeyJoe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote