View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 09:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you for the replies. I have been so nervous about this (and RSD in general). I do not know if the tumor is malignant or not. It is called an enchondroma and they typically are not cancerous when found in the fingers or toes. However, they usually are found by the time the person is in their 20s or 30s. Studies show the longer you have the tumor the chances of it being cancerous increase just a bit. I was told the tumor would have to be removed and then carefully examined for cancer, as it cannot be determined by a simple biopsy.

After the tumor is removed the first surgeon I consulted wants to fill in the area with bone from my wrist. The second surgeon would prefer to use bone from a cadaver as it would be less invasive but increases the risk of rejection. I do not know which way to go with this. I may seek a third opinion from a hand surgeon in the next state just to help me decide.

I know I will have to do something soon because both doctors said to have the finger break on its own is the worst scenario for RSD because that would most likely increase the chance of a spread. Plus my finger does hurt so that is an indication the bone is very thin (confirmed by the x-ray).

I had not thought of a stellate ganglion block. Would that block be done to the arm needing surgery or to the arm that already has RSD? I have not had one. I was scheduled several times but I chickened out due to my miserable luck with medical procedures.

I have been in denial about this disease for months. Just asking for help on this forum has helped me start to face this problem. Wakegirl, you are so right when you say it is always something. I would not ever think twice about this surgery before RSD; now I just get paralyzed with fear trying to make a decision. In fact this afternoon I backed out of the EMG test. I was just too afraid of a spread. I am diabetic but have not had a blood draw in over one year because I don't know if it is okay. I am so confused about choosing what is the proper medical treatment for this disease. Thank you for listening...
Coffeebean is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote