View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 05:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie2007 View Post
I've been having lots of vein problems with my IVIG each week. My nurse has slowed my infusioned down to 6 hrs and I still have vein pain. So she thinks I need to have a PICC line put in. So I'm going to talk to my dr. about it next week when I see him. Has anyone had one put in and can you tell me about it?? Thanks!!
Roxie, how long are you going to have the IV treatments?
My Mom had a Picc line in her arm for a short term hospital stay.
She didn't like it, but she was very fragile. Later she had a Central line (triple lumen) and it had to be flushed daily, even after she came home. The supplies to flush it were not cheap either.
I have a MediPort and at first it was sore, but since I need long term (more than 1 year) IV treatments, the port was the way to go for me.
Both PICC lines and Central lines have tubing that hangs outside the skin. A port is inserted under the skin, and while you still get poked, at least they don't have to dig for a vein.
It does make a difference who accesses it. Mine is for chemo and the chemo nurse can access it and most times I don't feel it much, but I had a nurse at the hospital access it for anesthesia use, and it hurt like the dickens.
BrendaBCS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote