View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 12:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boukness View Post
I have had four attacks this past year that have left me paralized on one side for more than 45 days at a time. This condition is horrible. I sometimes can't get out of bed. The light and noise hurts my head. I can't concentrate or think straight. I don't know much about this and my family thinks I am crazy. I know i'm not crazy i just need help. I go to sleep and pray that I will never wake up because it is so bad. I also have fibro and obstructive sleep apnea and do not know if they are related in any way to the BAM migraines. My Neurologist said I need to be stress free or I am a ticking time bomb. What does that mean? Will I die? I don't know what to do anymore. Can anyone help me to understand this any better? Any feed back is greatly appreciated. God bless you all.
I personally think your Neurologist should find more appropriate wording to use, as I find the 'ticking time bomb' to be rather unprofessional and easily misunderstood. However, the way I'd take it if it were said to me is;

If I am stressed, I will have more headaches as stress is a well known trigger (for the standard type, of course). Furthermore, looking at stress alone shouldn't be the only thing here - you should be keeping a headache journal which many Neurologists give out so they can diagnose the type of headaches and migraines you have and associate any potential triggers (it can be from caffeine to almonds to yes, stress).

Did he give you any "emergency" medications for your attacks? I have Maxalt and um, I forgot (running to kitchen to check) - Amerge. I also have (I can't read writing, need to fill it still) - Elaxil for sleeping as well as Topamax.

From what my Neurologist told me and he was being very calm and rational was that women (as I am a woman, he gave me details pertaining to that) who have frequent migraines are at a greater risk for stroke. He was very adamant in controlling my headaches and migraines and then looking into the root of the problem. I also have seizures, however, I can count the number of times I've lost consciousness and hit the ground on both hands. My 'normal' seziures cause pain, numbness, paralysis, tingling, burning and other various sensations (including visual disturbances) which apparently originate in or around my occipital and parietal lobes.

If you're still having these episodes while on your medications I'd consider asking for a change in medications, further testing and/or a second opinion. Considering the duration of your paralysis, (not to scare you) it sounds quite severe and I would really look into finding a doctor who is willing to go ALL OUT in finding you some relief. In the meantime, you should ask for 'emergency' pills such as Maxalt, Amerge or Relpax (which are expensive).

Hope you find some help and relief soon.

Ellie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote