View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Oh Mel! Is that guy still

practicing? Really! Honestly Pain IS GOOD in that it tells US and our bodies something is WRONG with us!
I currently have a good neuro, and some of my bakers' dozen other docs are super as well. My last neuro visit, things were running late [as usual] but folks in the waiting room were all, in concert, not unhappy about the fact that each didn't mind their wait...past their designated appointment time, because when it became their TIME, they would get the time needed! All waiting agreed that the extra wait was worth the quality time each ultimately received. This neuro listens, asks key quality questions and then WE work out a plan to deal with issues. Quite unlike many others I have experienced and likely will in the future.
I have never flaunted 'internet' learning per-se...I simply state that I've read papers found thru the NIH or Pub-Med, and will ask key questions regarding the issues in relationship to ME. I suspect I'm prodding him to do a little bit of 'quick research' himself-just to keep up with me?

Billye, Kmeb? There are patient advocates, they usually charge or deal with legal aspects only... Having a spouse or friend present at times is helpful, but only if they are versed in the 'basics' of our key med. issues. Having that same person interrupt with either 'basic' questions about your med. issues, or inserting ?'s about their issues sets things back A LOT. I ALWAYS have a steno pad [fits in my purse] with a short list of things to cover [starts out as 20+ items] pared down to 4-6 issues. That I have that list, go down it and check off that addressed, with short notes, does keep the docs alert that I am paying attention- so they must.
It IS hard to keep track of all that transpires during an office visit! It is said that one can only assimulate something like 3-7 issues during a certain period of time...I believe that to be true, ergo-those notes.
At times, I feel anger that we all have HAD to become almost as knowledgeable [or more] as the medical profession about our neuropathies and the pain that goes with it.
Please! All! Any and all good, bad and indifferent experiences should be put down here! We do need this key outlet and who knows? Maybe some neuros will actually read it and get a reality check - one can always hope - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote