View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default High doses of which vitamins?

I tend to agree with some of the commentary in the report--this is part of the growing concern among the medical professionals that they may not make enough money off of people who self-supplement, and the push to make all vitamin supplements prescription items. Then, of course, the medical establishment can profit from it.

Certainly, many of these substances must be used in moderation. Overdosage of calcium can lead to magnesium deficiency, for example. High (very high) doses of Vitamin A can be toxic. But there seems to be no distinguishment in this report. B12, for example, has no known toxicity level, and must often be megadosed for those who malabsorb. There is now a huge volume of evidence that most people at high latitudes have suboptimal vitamin D levels, and need supplementation, especially in fall/winter.

To those reading this, I suggest looking at our own Vitamin/Supplement forum to see some documentation that this report paints with too broad a brush. Look especially at the Useful Sites section, and the B6 and B12 threads. I also highly recommend looking at Braintalk's Vitamin forum, especially Ted Hutchinson's hugely amassed material on Vitamin D.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote