View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 03:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Red face

For me, it was mostly stress rather than anxiety. First DH and I went through all those Elizabeth Kubler-Ross stages (just like dying or death), with anger, denial, acceptance, etc.; then we went through (typical of two scientists) a stage of doing nothing but trying to read everything we could, learn everything we could, and try to decipher what Andrew needed vs. what could be provided by us or by the local school system. AUGH.....exhausting, frustrating, and just a wee bit stressful (yeah, that was a small understatement). But working as a team, we were able to vent to each other when the frustration and anger got to be too much for either of us to bear.

I can't imagine trying to do this as a single parent, and I bow in humble appreciation to all the single moms (or moms with husbands who don't get involved) on the board who struggle through this every day, you gals ROCK!

I'd highly recommend getting counseling or some kind of support from your company's benefits plan. If I had to do it all over again, starting from when Andrew was first diagnosed, I'd probably get both DH and I into some kind of counseling or support environment to just reassure us that we were NOT bad parents, we WERE doing all that we could, and that we should stop beating up on ourselves for thinking that we needed to be superparents.

Good luck, honey, remember that we are all here for you.

Last edited by MomOTwins; 10-02-2006 at 03:39 PM.
MomOTwins is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote