View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 08:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, I don't really know much about the fistula, or the other. Sorry. but the Novacaine, which really isn't novacaine anymore, can cause MG to react. I had a root canal about a year ago, and at first they gave me the regular stuff everyone gets, and I couldn't talk, swallow, or feel like the novacaine was wearing off.
So, I called my neuro and asked what I could take, as this was it Lidocaine (is what is used now instead of novacaine) caused me to have a terrible MG problem. the next time, I got the Carbocaine that was recommended by my neuro, and I had no problems. MG'ers should ask for Carbocaine. It's amazing how much is out there that can cause us problems. Home Page | Medical Issues | Upcoming Events | mgadetroit.org

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Medications Contraindicated for Patients with Myasthenia Gravis

MGA does not diagnose or prescribe. The following is general information. Always consult your physician before taking or discontinuing any medication(s).

Aminoglycosides: Tobramycin,
Gentamicin,
Streptomycin,
Kanamycin,
Neomycin,
Amikacin,
Paromomycin Amitriptyline*, Bactracin**
Barbiturates*
Beta-Blockers: Propranolol,
Oxprenolol,
Pindolol,
Practolol,
Sotalol,
Timolol (ophthalmic)** Chloroquine* Chlorpromazine**
CNS Depressants* Colchicine
Colistin Colistimethate** Corticosteroids** Decamethonium Diphenhydramine* Duiretics*
Droperidol* Echotheophate
Emetine* Erythromycine** Ethosuximide*
Gallamine
Haloperidol*
Impiramine*
Lidocaine
Lincomycin
Lithium**
Magnerium Sulfate Muscle Relaxants* Narcotics: Morphine,
Codine,
Meperidine,
Hydromorophone,
Opium (Pantopan (R))
Pancuconium Paraldehyde* Penicillamine
Phentyoin Procainamide**
Procaine
Quinine**
Respiratory:
Depressants* Sulfonamides** Sedatives*
Sodium Lactate** Succinylcholine Tetacycline**
Thyroid:
Replacements Tranquilizers* Trihexphenidyl Tubocurarine
* theoretically may worsen MG - no clinical reports
** worsens MG or causes MG-like syndrome
Henry Ford Hospital 1993

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MYASTHENIA GRAVIS, HERBS AND OTHER SUPPLEMENTS
Stephen TePastte, MD

Those of us with Myasthenia Gravis possess an antibody directing destructive forces towards our own healthy muscle tissue. The focus of the attack is specifically the post-synaptic junction, which receives nerve impulses at the neuromuscular junction. Anything that increases immune activity can worsen our MG. That is why stress and infection can wipe us out and sometimes even provoke a full relapse. We must then, be very cautious about exposing ourselves to any immune stimulation.

Prior to my diagnosis of Myasthenia Gravis in late 1998, I, unfortunately, took Echinacea, an herbal product, which purportedly reduces the severity and length of colds. Echinacea is a potent, nonspecific stimulator of immune function which for MG, or any autoimmune disease is bad. Unfortunately, subsequent studies have also shown Echinacea probably doesn't even work in fighting colds. I am, therefore, not happy that I exposed myself to that herbal product and caution you against using it ever.

In doing extensive research on vitamins, minerals and herbs, I have found some that do actually benefit us in some circumstances. Mostly though, what I found was that these products are, at best, only mildly effective and, at worst, potentially risky. Since no one is regulating these products we must arm ourselves with knowledge before considering taking any of them.

In general, it is appropriate with adults who have Myasthenia Gravis to take certain vitamins and minerals for general health promotion. It is probably especially important that we, with MG, take calcium supplements, as most of us will be on prednisone. Most likely we long-term prednisone users will also need to take a prescription medication to prevent osteoporosis along with the calcium.

Ephedrine, an old drug that was used as treatment for Myasthenia Gravis many years ago was "reinvented" as an herbal product called Ma Huang and targeted for weight loss and energy. It also is a main ingredient in heavily hyped multilevel marketed weight loss products. However, in Myasthenia Gravis, it can help muscle function as it has an action directly at the neuromuscular junction. It can be difficult to obtain and, if you do obtain it, make sure it's from a reliable source as there have been reports of inadvertent toxic levels in some products leading to some deaths in the United States. Do not use this without first discussing with your MG physician. Ephedrine or Ma Huang has not been shown to be effective for weight loss or energy enhancement.

Coenzyme Q-10 and creatine are two supplemental products that have been used in muscle diseases. They are mostly used by healthy people looking to augment or enhance their physical performance. Careful studies have not shown any definite benefit of these medications. Although they are probably fairly safe they are very expensive and not worth the risk of unknown ill effects not yet discovered. I would withhold use of these medicines until better studied in Myasthenia Gravis.

We with MG are fortunate to have a great deal of scientific knowledge known about our illness. This knowledge has allowed us, in most cases, to have our disease managed quite satisfactorily and, restored near normal lives. We owe this to advances in conventional medicine. Although we must always keep our minds open to all possibilities, we must not allow ourselves to be duped by fast buck artists and hucksters.

To better inform you about commonly used herbs, vitamins and other supplements you may obtain a copy of an article I recently wrote for a presentation on this topic. It is quite extensive and I think you might find it useful. You may obtain a copy by sending a stamped ($.55), self-addressed envelope to MGA.

Please note that the medical views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect any official position of the Association, the MG Foundation or the Medical Advisory Board. Each person's circumstances are different. If you have a medical question, please contact your physician who will know what is best for you.

April 15, 2002
These are just a few things we need to be careful of..
I hope I helped some
http://www.neuro.wustl.edu/neuromusc.../immunerx.html
http://www.neuroland.com/nm/myas_gra.htm
If you need anything else, please feel free to ask away
best wishes
Love Lizzie
Maxwell'sMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote