View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 09:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro from Vermont View Post
a/v fistulas are often used for access in long term plasmapheresis treatment for MG.
It's the same type of fistulas used for dialysis.
Please ask the surgeon what type of fistula your sister is going to have. One is a "natural" fistula, where they use her own artery & vein (usually in the left arm), the other type I believe is gore-tex. Gore-Tex is a man made substance & if your sister has had problems with staph infections in the past, it may become a problem again with this foreign substance in her body.

Please google "fistula" and "plasmapheresis" for more info.

The reason I know about this is because I had had fistula work done for pheresis about 25 years ago.
I am wondering if that A-B-V graft is the one that is like the gore-tex you are speaking of. I can't understand why the Dr.s would take a chance at putting something foreign in her since her big problems, as of lately, are reoccuring infections--staff and others! When you had you fistula how did it work for you? I would like to know the pros and cons about both of these. I appreciate you taking the time to respond here....I check this forum several times a day---it has become a part of my life now!! Thanks!!
cynwldkat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote