View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 03:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Baby-Steps...

Been through the flylady bit...I am limited to 15 - 30 minutes on cleaning at a time, and then sit for the same amount of time, I have severe sciatica and no way to combat it except rest and a couple Excedrine. This has been a problem since 1978.

He has been on Zoloft, Serzone, Paxil, and a couple others, he did best on them when he was smoking, he had a "vice". He quit smoking over a year ago and it didn't seem to bother him. What bothers him is the RSD, diabetes, COPD, and some other health concerns....

Then I start cleaning, I can't do the clutter thing any longer. He's an avid reader, and we have ONLY 14 bookcases in our mobile home....2 1/2 in the bedroom, 5 in the spare room abd seven in the living room. (the 1/2 bookcase is the headboard of our bed...just one shelf. One of the bookcases is VHS tapes that go back 25 years...they have to go. One bookcase is craft and beading supplies that we share...nothing out of place there....why can't the rest of the place be that neat??

For several years we have had a "path" through the living room....I used to enjoy laying on the floor to watch tv but we have no floor, just a path! Granted, since Monday the path is getting wider, North and West walls of the living room are actually pretty orderly now...working on the bookcase between his chair and the hall entrance...one shelf to go but its break time.
I've learned that when my back says its breaktime, its NOW, not in 10 minutes.

We both have the handicap scooters, his because of extreme shortness of breath, a bad back, and a knee replacement that is 11 years old and they don't want to replace it again because he's now diabetic....when we go shopping, he doesn't hesitate to use it, I don't blame him. There are two stores we go to that aren't real large and a scooter is difficult to use in there so he does walk, taking his time...I think some exercise is good for him.
I have a scooter that I use less than 50% of the time, I can still do wal-mart on good days and hit most every aisle, I bought the one I use and its been a Godsend for the days I do need it. His is through his health insurance (I have none).

I recently put four huge armloads of books through our local freecycle site and got rid of every one of them. But it only gave me a couple shelves. He understands why we need to downsize, its getting him to give the stuff up.
HE went through the magazines and threw out the catalogs that were 15 years old, and cut address off the rest and donated them to his doctor's office. I went through his closet and dresser and downsized that, he had bought clothes 20 years ago that were only worn a few times when he was like 130 pounds, now he's 210 and still trying to wear the same stuff. At least everything in there fits now and he has a few pair of jeans that I kept that if he drops 25 pounds, he can wear.

Mom is NOT a collector, she has everything labeled as to who gets what in the house and garage....she's 78 and in good health....will probably outlive me! Her house is orderly and uncluttered...and everything is in good repair.
Anything happens to her, we can go through the house in a couple hours and there will be a small load of stuff to donate to the shelter...clothes, shoes, and what few items no one is interested in. Us kids didn't have a lot growing up, but we had enough, and there were six of us. Hubby lost his Dad when he was 2 years old and he and his sister didn't have a lot, so anything they got, they kept and that gets unmanageable after awhile.

Ever alert to our needs, they nap nearby at a craft sale, they are with us every place we go....