View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 05:48 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I spent 15 days the hospital with my blood clot and the subsequent rib resection surgery. The first day or two after surgery are tough and I spent my time so druged up in ICU. You probably wont be in ICU or even at the hospital that long.

The last thing I can remember BEFORE the surgery was telling the anasteseologist that I was very uncomfortable having god only knows what drugs being pumped into me and that being unconcious and having no control over my body freaks me out, worse than the surgery itself. The next thing I know I opened my eyes in the recovery room and wished I had my glasses so I could see. A nurse said that my husband would be allowed to come and see me shortly, but I wasnt worried about him becasue I was very thirsty and had very chapped lips. A nurse give me chap stick and ice chips and I was SO grateful to her and told her something like 'those are are best ice chips I've ever had". And then I can remember my husband looking down at me and that was about it... Weird, huh? Kind of like a strange dream you can only remember bits and pieces of.

I am with Beth all the way on the private room! Do WHATEVER you can to make sure you get one - ask beforehand. I only had to share a room for about two hours with a pregnant teenage girl/drama queen, and it was probably the longest two hours of my life. (I remember laying there hoping the clot would dislodge and just go straight to my brain, so I wouldnt hear her complaining and whining anymore! When I told my nurse that, they moved me.)

I also totally agree with Beth that before the surgery you need to shave your legs and armpits and wash your hair. You will be surprised at how long that takes you afterwards.

Also very importantly, work on your deep breathing and preventing any stomach issues that can occur. Drink lots of water! I did not take these two issues seriously enough when I should have and suffered afterward for it.

Take socks, panties, and even pj's and slippers. There is no dignity in hospital gowns and after a couple of days I was ready to walk around the halls (in my pjs, anything with an elastic waist and buttons up the front in case your hooked up to IV's). Dont forget your own toothbrush, face wash, deoderant, shampoo.

My biggest allies in the hospital were not so much my family but the nurses, if you play your cards right they will usually be pretty cool. Like let you take a shower when they are changing IV's, let you get up and walk around more than they should, bring you GOOD coffee from the cafe for visitors in the hospital, schedule massage therapist so come in (if your hospital offers such services).

I asked extended family and friends to not visit at the hospital but to wait until I got home and Im glad I did. You will be feeling pretty crappy and really wont feel like chit chatting with friends, you will need the time to rest and recover.

I wish you the best! Im sure the surgery will go well.
mtnmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
momzpeachy (01-09-2008)