View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 04:40 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyk38 View Post
My attorney just called, work comp wants to send me for an EMG. I'm thinking about refusing it because I have been diagnosed with rsd and I know that an emg does not diagnose rsd and it is also extremely painful. I'm also concerned about them trying to find something else wrong with me than saying I don't have rsd and they don't pay my benefits anymore. zNothing to hide but lots to lose.....any thoughts appreciated, Jenny

There is a general rule that work comp cannot force you to do any surgery or "sort of" surgery due to the risks and pain involved.

Call your attorney and ask him or her if THIS falls within that rule, as it is true that EMG / nerve tests do have a certain measure of pain, that the little electrode guy is a small, small needle and could possibly set off more RSD pain.

Now, I have had RSD with TOS for 5 years and I've had 5 EMGs all were normal except for showing the TOS slowing at the c-8 located behind your neck, along with severe to moderate carpal tunnel which makes no sense to operate since the TOS is probably the culprit. So the long and rather uncomfortable test was I believe done just for the docs to make money. I'd never SAY this to any of them, but it's my belief.

But I would say to my attorney that with the HIGH and UNPREDICTABLE nature of RSD, that having a GUT FEELING that the EMG might bring on more symptoms is a valid reason to say "no" and should be respected and not held against you by law.

See what he says.

Good luck, RSD is sure no picnic.
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote