View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 04:08 AM
arthurhlevine

arthurhlevine

Default Get this Mel!

Well, since you're husband likes to download and play with stuff, and especially since you seem eager to keep on learning new things, consider this part one of more stuff to learn...

I have some rather serious memory issues too, and this is part of my solution and, in my not so humble opinion, this is better than having a "homepage"

Have your husband download and install the latest "Opera" browser from opera(dot)com

Open the browser and go somewhere, click on the "new tab" button and open several new tab URL's.
Now go to the "X" at the very top of the browser window and that will close all the tabs at once.
Now open the Opera browser again, a dialog box will pop open giving you three choices, pick "open from last time" or something very similar. Just like magic all the tabs that were open when you closed "Opera" have reappeared.

Remember, the more physical RAM your PC has the faster and more stable it will be running multiple browsers/windows/tabs...... Vista w/4GB, XP with 2GB, Many Linux with a GB and some with 512MB and you can browse to your hearts content without a performance issue. A Debian or a Slackware based Linux system with 2GB Ram will apparently run an almost unlimited amount of browsers/windows/tabs without ANY issues, concerns, or any anti-virus software for that matter either.

Now you can simultaneously have an almost unlimited number of "homepages", AND part of your brain memory issues have now been resolvedas well!!!

I always have clusty(dot)com, worldnews(dot)com, dictionary(dot)com, weatherunderground(dot)com, and gmail(dot)com tabs open under one window. Those are my faves of faves, otherwise I like to keep semi-related stuff all open together in tabs under a single window.
Keep all of your very favorite URL's open at all times under "Opera" and whenever you shut it down and start it back up, ALL of your favorite places will open at start up together. If you run a Linux based system you will never ever have to shut down a browser again anyway, except for really big right over you thunderstorms, you won't.

Part two....hmmmm I'm thinking about that now....... There is a LOT to learn, I am still working on that myself
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote