View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Curious~ I'm so happy to hear your mom is still with you.

My mom is also 77, and she also almost died (for the third time) 1 1/2 years ago due to alcoholic crisis. At the same time she was diagnosed with primary liver cancer. We were told she had 3 months to live, and would probably never come home. When someone's liver is functioning that poorly, the dementia and hallucinations during withdrawal can lasts several weeks...she was still having hallucinations three weeks in, seeing people jumping out of windows and all sorts of horrible things, combative, etc. She had no idea she was in the hospital and would ask us to go turn off the stove, had visitors who really weren't there, and such.

She recovered enough from the crisis, after about eight weeks, to have treatment for the liver cancer. 1 1/2 years ago she couldn't walk across the room, but today she can walk around the block, is cancer free (although expected to return), clear of mind, and sober. Each day is a gift.

My dad has also been through emergency brain surgery, due to a hematoma that had crossed midline and was pressing on the brain stem. His recovery took over six months. He is a brittle diabetic, and we have very close calls with him all the time.

I can sympathize with others who are going through very tough times with their loved ones, because I have been there, too.

Hugs and prayers to all who are suffering, whether the patient or the caregiver trying to cope with it. It isn't easy.

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 10-02-2006 at 06:05 PM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote