View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 11:47 AM
arthurhlevine

arthurhlevine

Default more for mel

I am going to assume you are running "XP", I haven't much time spent on MSWindows machines sine I woke up.... About the only experience I have had these past few years on WinMachines is replacing the contents of their hard-drives with Linux OperatingSystems.

Instead of a FireFox Icon there will be an "Opera" icon, and when the browser is open there is a big red capital "O" at the top left hand corner... I'm not real sure about this under MSWindows but I belive it easy to find out...I don't keep much on my desktop though, as rather I prefer using a "directory tree" (think the old MacOS6/7/8 utility software "BeHierachic") and doing things that way, or from the command line as I view the CLI as another form of mental exercise. But then again, I put lots of PDF's and other DL's to the desktop before deciding within a few minutes hours days weeks or months where it is I might want to keep something....

Opera has the best of all current browsers bookmarking software!

There is no such thing as movies, music, anything being made only to run under any single browser, though MS does quite a number on intentionally not complying with established standards, preferring you to using software that you have to pay them for everything in some way again and again than for writing code to meet established international standards....However, amazingly enough, since the MS losses in the EU legal system, and the suit filed by Opera against MS in the EU, IE8, the one you can't have....mysteriously passes the "Acid2" standards base test.

Anyway, there are lots of codecs all free and legally so for all your multi-media needs.....Look up "codecs" and you'll get a much better understanding than I can give you.

Ok, I hope this helps a little

A little help for how to figure stuff out, click on everything, you aren't going to break anything, see what what you just clicked on does or says or opens or whatever, and just keep on clicking through. Much is written and said about "intuitive" regarding software.... There is no such thing.... there is curiosity that leads to experience and knowledge and keeps away the fear of failure. Without a naturally curious disposition there is no intuition and there is no "self taught" there is only that which is learned by simple mechanical repitition. Whatever methods you choose to learn through though, just save all your stuff and keep everything copied to some sort of online location and you don't need to "back up" anything except your systems files "themselves". If you run a Linux system, you can set everything up exactly as YOU, not Bully Gates likes, wants, needs , expects everything to be and then burn a new image of your installed OS for when/if ever anything bad should happen to your hard-drive... Or you could legally give a copy to any and everybody you want to, even Mr Gates, and they will at last have a safe and stable and secure PC.....OH yeah, and other than a list of few (and that list diminishes week by week) software items, there is very very very little MSWin software that there is no at the least equivalent or even better unencumbered Linux replacement for....

Tell the hubby to go and get "thegimp" or even better "gimpshop", and he can do his own at home 3d movie making/animation using "blender" and then there is of course "OpenOffice" (spare me the flames folks, the "features" people are always saying OO is lacking, even MS admits to being used by like around 2% of MSOffice users, and I doubt that 2% includes anybody here) and Scribus, and on and on and on.......

OK one last thing......
Have the hub go to knoppix(dot)com and download the ISO image for Knoppix5.1.1
and burn it to a CDR....NEVER EVER BURN DATA TO AN RW!!!!!!.
Make sure your PC BIOS is set to "boot from disc" (try it and see first)..

Put the CD in the CDROM, and now, reboot the PC and just like magic, you have a real safe and secure and superior, and did I say FREE operating system to learn from, and haven't had to buy or install a thing....and more software installed "out of the box" than you're most likely ever going to know what to do with.

Go here: clusty(dot)com and type "help learn Linux forums beginners" into the search bar....oh yeah, and do a search on "codecs linux multi-media" too. Clusty is about the most brain damaged friendly pieces of software around too. Try it and see.....

OK, nuff said.......

HAGD

Have a great day!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote