View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I think you could use Firefox the same way as Arthur suggests with the multiple tabs open as different 'home"pages .
I haven't tried it though mainly because my bookmarks are organized into folders and groups so they are easy to find.
I often use multiple tabs though and my home page is Google.
I use XP with Firefox and also IE available if I need to use it.

You could use both Opera and Fiefox just like you can still use IE if you need to -it doesn't replace the other program just adds it on to your system - it's just another program that happens to be a browser.

LINUX- some more basic info about it
An easy way to try Linux programs is to by a Linux magazine that has a LIVE DVD enclosed.
With the LIVE DVD you can boot right into it when you start your computer and you can explore it before you even install it.
As Arthur mentions -your system needs to be set to check/boot from CD/DVD before the hard drive.

I found the Ubuntu and Kubuntu to be the easiest as far as "seeing" my wireless card/connection. I tested about 7 of the different types,
they're all Linux but each has a look or style and so are named differently.

Linux stuff is fun to play with a good selection of free games, Music, MP3 players, word processing, graphics and easy to get more because it is open source software.

I do have Ubuntu as a secondary OS
The only problem I seem to have with the Linux is the fonts do not appear as clear as with my XP side, so for the most part I have stuck with windows for that reason.

But if you have room on your hard drive you can choose to install one of the Linux OS as use it as a dual boot system.
Or you can keep using it with the live dvd/cd in the drive.

when your machine starts up it will post a screen asking what OS you want to use windows or the linux- then you choose and if you need to switch to the other you just exit out and use the restart option where it will ask for a choice.