Thread: Can you relate?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 10:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post
I also have generalized MG since last June and I'm under treatment since 4 and a half months: mestinon (2x60mg +2x180mg, started with 4x60mg but was not enough), prednisone (now 65mg/day, down from 75, started at 10) and Cellcept (2x2g from the beginning) and it's only now that something (probably prednisone) is working, my condition is slowly but consistenly improving.
You have to consider the onset of action of all these medications:
mestinon acts within an hour, corticoïds within 1 to 5 months and Cellcept could take more (1 to 12 months). It's like a multiple-stage rocket…each stage is used during a definite period and then discarded (or reduced in our case) but the stages are present from the beginning.
This is also necessary to minimize the side effects which could be serious in sone cases (corticoïds, for example).
Cellcept is known to have very few side effects but its efficiency is questioned by some.
Keep faith and hope
Maurice.
I am kinda afraid of prednisone and a little nervous about cellcept but your post helps aleviate some of those fears. My biggest fear is that i won't be able to keep a full time job b/c my body keeps on building resistance to the mestinon and so when that happens i get weaker and weaker till we boost the dose again. we have almost maxed out the dose that my doctor feels confortable prescribing. I just started having breathing problems. Do you know how to approach employers about the MG in a positive way? i am currently faced with doing this b/c i am trying to switch from my current physcially demanding job to an office job. I have also been strugling with depression b/c of the new limitations, any one have any suggestions on how to combat that?
bobcatsrule is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote