View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 10:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Don't forget

to add thallium to your list and especially methyl n-butyl ketone and hexane as particularly notorious solvents among the VOC's (volatile organic compounds) that give rise to PN symptoms.

For Glenn's post w/ respect to unknown affects of chemicals after modifications I'd add that the affects of two or more chemicals are generally really unknown in that 2 individually "safe" compounds can become problematic for some people given their particular physiology and biochemical make-up and there's really no predictive way to determine this. I've thought about this type of interaction for a long time since, as an organic chemist I've worked with small (mg) and large amounts (multi-Kg) of literally thousands of compounds over the last 30+ years and despite all of the safety precautions in place one can never totally eliminate an exposure, other than not to work with a substance.

I too have exhausted the traditional tests for heavy metals but the neuros agree that they can't unequivocally rule out that my PN could result from some unknown combo of compounds from my past - just saw a first hand demo of this with an old friend and colleague, also an organic chemist like myself who nearly destroyed his liver and died 2 years ago from some unknown compound or a combo w/ his meds and the herbs that he used - don't know what or why. He's recovered greatly but he's out of the lab now to eliminate that possibility.

I suspect that in time with improved understanding of molecular physiology and more sensitive and sophisticated screening and diagnostic tests that the list of toxins will probably expand.

Sue, the people who removed their decks - was this related to pressure treated lumber by any chance? Pressure treated wood used be treated w/ an arsenic compound as a preservative but I don't believe that's done any longer.
Alkymst
Alkymst is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote