View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Assisted Living doesn't sound so bad.

My husband is having a harder and harder time accomodating my quirky behaivior. He wants to join groups to play with and I am alone all the time. I forget to take my pills on time, am only able to clean one room at a time and then am totally out of breath and will sleep for 5 hours. I recently had a biopsy of my thyroid gland as the endocrinologist I saw found a marble sized lump in it. The stress of waiting is very hard when you are alone as much as I am.

My husband tries hard, but when he snarls at me like he did the other night, I get frightened. I have even suggested we start looking for a nursing home but her won't hear of it. He still expects me to shovel out the driveway even when I ask him to help me. He also lies about finances.

Caroline, I am with you. He feels by placing me in a nursing home he is failing me as a caretaker. As far as I am concerned, if he is finding it too confining to spend time with me or help with simple household chores, I would rather be somewhere where I can get help when I need it.

I believe I would look at it as an opportunity to mingle with others like myself and meet new friends. But I must admit, I am also very bad with changes in my routine. And the thought of a roommate is not appealing. I like my personal space.

Is this and issue for you or are you considering it? If your family is forcing you to do that you are not ready for, I would contact a County Social worker in your area to find out what your rights are or if it is actually within your power to stop them or reason with them. I am so sorry you are going through such a difficult time. My prayers are with you.

Love,
Vicky
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote