View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 11:42 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had my surgery early last year. I too have multiple drug allergies including local anesthetics and codiene so I was careful to relay these during my pre-op appt. On the day of my surgery I ended up having a reaction to the antibiotic they gave me prior to surgery (tingling feeling in my face, mouth and throat, vomitting, dizziness, headache) - all I remember is telling one of the nurses and the next thing I knew I was hooked up to a bunch of monitors and there was a bunch of people around me. Everything was put back under control and I went into surgery (still vomiting even in the OR!).

Apparently when I woke from surgery I was crying uncontrobly in the recovery room....I don't remember much of that time except my mom and BF being there and saying my hand was warm!

I spent two nights in the 'step down unit' of the hospital and was constantly being taken for xrays of my lungs. I don't remember exactly what was going on (I can find the papers and post if anyone is interested) but after two nights I seemed to have recovered. I had a family member with me 90% of the visiting hours and being in the step down unit I was constantly monitored and had great nurses. I did however have the IV that delivered my pain meds fall out in the middle of the night. I am a hard stick - they had nurses from every floor coming to try to help but it was morning before someone could get the IV back in - that was hell! I was on Dilaudid while in hospital and released on Oxycontin and Toradol (which I am still on to date). I had no drains in place after surgery.

I didn't eat the whole time I was in the hospital...I was pretty nauseous from the meds. But I was happy I had a house coat so when I got up to go to the washroom or to Xray I wasn't flashing all the old guys that were staying in the unit as well (I was the youngest one in the room!)

Not sure if this helps....
JAMY is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
momzpeachy (01-09-2008)