Thread: local horror
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 07:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default local horror

i am having an awful night....i'm vacillating back and forth; first, i want to see the news on tv, then i have to walk away from it.....school violence worries me all the time, since my hub teaches in a public high school, but this latest outrage touches close to home in other ways as well.

i am so upset by the amish schoolhouse shooting....the town where it happened is only about an hour away......i LIVE in the same kind of town.....there is a little one-room amish schoolhouse on my street, about a half-mile away.......i drive past there all the time, and see the kids outside playing....little boys with their suspenders and straw hats.....little girls with rosy cheeks and braids.

these people r my neighbors.....and very good neighbors at that.....they keep to themselves and cause no trouble.....they work their farms, sell the produce at roadside stands, have stands at the local farmer's market.....the children r, without fail, polite and helpful, tho a bit shy with outsiders.....NO child deserves a shooter in their school, but amish girls????....this may be the most inoffensive group of people in the world, and i am so angry that some sick, twisted mind could consider doing this.

i know that there should be some compassion for the gunman, who had to be seriously unstable, and even more for his wife and children who r victims as surely as the dead girls and the dying children in local hospitals, but at the moment, all i can feel is horrified, truly horrified, that anyone could even think about committing a crime like this.

my grandchildren r in school, and i suppose i don't like being reminded that these horrors can happen anywhere, even out here, out in the boondocks.....if it were in my power, they wouldn't happen anywhere, ever again......until that wonderful day arrives, please hold a good thought for all the victims of school violence everywhere.