View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 12:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndylou View Post
Hi Mike. A fellow Kiwi here. I would love some details on where you had your surgery in New Zealand. I am an incomplete paraplegic of 38 years duration who is suffering from spinal stenosis. Surgeons have said they would operate if I insist but no promises of reducing the pain and no improvement in walking as being a para for such a long time, I should expect to end up in a chair. I don't accept that because I am deteriorating because I can't walk far because of the pain. I'm highly motivated, healthy, work fulltime, garden, renovate my house etc. etc. I try to exercise and keep core strength up but that too is limited because of the pain.
What other options did you look at before surgery. What about steroidal injections? I just can't accept that I should sit in a wheelchair when I have muscle strength that can be utilised just as it has been for the last 38 years!!
Look forward to your or anyone's suggestions.
Hey Mate, no problem, i had the operation at Mercy Hospital in Auckland with Dr Barnes (his office is near ponsonby/new market) he is one of 2 surgeons suggested to me of which both are 10+ years doing spinal surgery, i think they are pretty much the top 2 in NZ for this kind of op. from what i found out when i did my research. Hope that helps and all the best!

Cheers
Mike
kiwimike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (04-27-2011)