View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 12:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

"I don't gossip and keep secret stuff amongst my church family" or "With me, everyone in this congregation is treated the same, if I want prayers, I ask it of everyone, no secrets".

Yikes...I think they 1) don't understand (primarily) 2) don't know how to ask you for some additional information 3) don't know how to be kind if they don't agree and/or are being too harsh/judgmental about the entire situation

I recall many years ago, our family and several others were invited to join another family on a vacation. We all were encouraged to stay at a hotel in a vacation area. When we arrived, several of us, didn't really like the hotel. One family in particular, REALLY didn't like it. They immediately packed up and thanked the host and said that the hotel was "not their cup of tea." They found another hotel and joined in on celebrations like dinner when and where they could. I thought that was a class act. They did not elaborate, they just said that the hotel was not to their liking. Yep, follks could make a fuss or judgment and say that these folks were being rude, etc. but all they did was say that they felt differently about something. That's all. Then they participated where they could.

PLEASE no offense to anyone here...but I do suspect that this is why SOMETIMES churches get bad reputations. There can be lots of judgments about varying things and it can be needless and hurtful.
I think unless something is obviously hurtful and obviously wrong, there can be a wide variety of views on things and that is okay. A person can always quietly double check with their minister if they are unsure. But generally speaking, many things are often simply a matter of someone's "cup of tea" or not. And it is hurtful to make judgment calls on things...especially when someone is trying to do something good.

Words have power...I think we need to remember this. And kindness does count.

Anyway, your intentions are good and I think that I would just rephrase your invitation for those who are interested and make sure that you reiterate yoiur positive and helpful intentions. BTW, also agree with Chemar...don't let them steal your joy!
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote