View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 01:44 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Kooky,
I wanted to respond to you (Holly, I hope you don't mind me jumping into your thread). I had a colloid cyst removed in Nov 2000. I had severe hydro which caused me to have temporary loss of sight in my left eye. I had a crainiotomy and the cyst was removed completely. I had to have speech and occupational therapy afterwards for quite some time, (1 month in patient, 9 months out patient) but I am doing very well now.

My memory was almost nonexistant at first. My therapists at the rehab hospital devised different plans and techniques to help me with my memory retraining. They had me use what they called a "Memory Book". It was a simple spiral notebook I carried every where. My therapists had me write down information, then asked me to review it to help with memory skills.

Me being the rebellious one I am, at first thought I could work around this. I learned very quickly, I needed to follow the rules they were putting into place. Each therapist asked religiously if I had my memory book.

I eventually moved to a pocket calendar, and a wall calendar to remember dates.

Memory does improve. It can take awhile. Consistant notetaking helps immensly, as does consistant brain stimulation. (Reading, writing, music, art, puzzles, etc.)Please tell him to keep a positive attitude, and try to laugh at mistakes. It gets better as the brain heals, and new pathways are developed.

Best wishes to your brother, and you. Please let us know how he is doing, Dodi
Discododi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote