Thread: ALS symptoms?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 01:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default ALS symptoms?

Hi my name is Joe. I am new to this website. I have been experiencing some disturbing symptoms over the last 5 months. I have always been athletic, but this stopped me in my tracks. In 1995 my mother died of ALS, and it has always been in the back of my mind that I could get this disease. Back in July of 2007 I started getting muscle twitches all over my body, short brief twitches. I went to my PCP, she prescribed me Xanax, said it was stress. Well in late August, my tongue started twitching too, scared me to death so I went back to my PCP and she referred me to a neurologist. I had the usual strength tests, EEG that came back abnormal, Sensory evoked potentials. So I went ahead and had sleep test done, got fitted with a c-pap machine. This did not help anything, stopped using it. Went back to the neuro, had MRI of brain with contrast and needle EMG The EMG was good according to him, but. slight abnormality on MRI, white matter spots which he said could be a sign of MS, though I have no sensory deficits. Through all this the muscle twitching incresed, including tongue. I started to go into an emotional tailspin, and started feeling weak. Got referred to another neuro, he said nothing to worry about, that the spts in the MRI could be from smoking when I was younger. Started to feel weaker in my legs, twitching and vibrations in my legs, kind of like an electrical shock wile I was at work. In December I had another MRI of my brain, no change. Started feeling nerve twitching and kind of a fluttering feeling in my feet, mainly while standing at work with some perceived feelings of weakness. Had MRI of cervical spine and lumbar spine recently, all normal. I got referred to another neurologist, the one that helped diagnosed my mother, he said "Doesnt look like ALS to me". I am scheduled for an EMG January 22, I am so scared of ALS. My feet are really bothering me, they twitch and flutter constantly, I get small cramps in my calves while walking too. My balance seems to be off abit, though I went to the gym yesterday and my strength is still good. Ran 1 mile and cycled 3 miles then did a leg workout. Oh yea my face twitches too, I can elicit this by clenching my teeth. Immediately after this my face goes crazy. I also get tongue cramps while talking, taking a drink, etc. It is hard to go to work everyday having these symptoms. Sorry for the long post, I am just going crazy. Thanks.
joesowe5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote