View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 07:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

In October 07, i attended a 'Young peoples consultation meeting on , services at hand for young people' [uk]

Today i went to the follow up on that meeting.

It really sadens me when people in authority and in possession of funds to alter life, Blatantly steal ideas , implement them , yet dont do it in the veien/heart that it was intended.

Three years ago i developed a 'Life skills course' Where i work... which encompased an array of skills , that Homeless people might require.

Budgeting/dealing with debt...past arrears / cooking on a budget/ healthy eating, nutrition and dietry advice.. Holding down a tennancy... good neighbour skills..plus an assortment of personal development lessons... ie.. anger management.. assertiveness training.. life coaching.. substance isuse awareness..dealing with emotions..etc..

The local authorityjumped on bvoard this ideoligy and now run this course externaly from my hostel, and to a wider range clientel.. i am very happy that so many will benefit from this course ... but today was the last straw..

July 06 i suggested at a homeless stratergy meeting that 'PREVENTION was alawys paramount to cure' and suggested that training in school 11-16 year olds was paramount in targeting a message that adolescent behaviour and adolescent experimentation could lead to homelessness.

ie... take drugs at home.. mum and dad say.. no..way leave.. this house.

ie.. steal cars, rob houses, shoplift..... you will get into serious trouble and may be asked to leave home... or be unable to return home after serving a prison sentence...

WELL HALLAUJAH......... i was informed today the locality in which i work was granted a three year contract for a worker plus funding for 10 current young people to act as peer-educators [ expenses paid] to deliver a message in all senior schools about homelessness. but more important that behaviour /life choices/ can lead to homelessness..

its aim is to re-inforce that rules are rules either at home or exteranaly... and that there are consequences for actions... and my main belief we are all totaly responsible for what ever we do...............

Part of me feels agreieved that my ideas are used universaly so to speak by local authorities, with a total diregard for my input...yet im pleased young people will now have access to the true meaning of life... and not the uk.. left wing fluffy approach to life...

This said my wife is mortified that yet another theory/idea is pillfered and i just carry on.

Maybe i need a break in the land of oppotunity..........anyone out there in need of community youth directives [ im now prosituting my services so to speak]

DAVID

DMACK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barbo (06-29-2009)