View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 03:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSBee View Post
Okay-- after YEARS if not having a regular exercise routine,I joined the Y the other day and am going for it. When I get lethargic as an MS person,and it's not hot as hell out, it's often because of inactivity.
I'm an okay weight.. 5'8" and 144.. (I'd like to lose 6, to match my driver's license, which says 138) But at my age, 52 ,my midsection has become.. shall we say--more than a tad spongey, and I think my butt looks like chewed bubblegum.(If, on occasion, I look decent in jeans it's only because it's now assuming the form of it's container.)
So yesterday,I took a class called Yoga-lates.. a combo of yoga and pilates which is actually pretty good.No chanting or any of that stuff--which is not my thing anyway..Good stretching, which I need.. Not easy-- but they let you go at your own pace, thank Gawd,because I'm about as flexible as the Tin Man.
Today I did treadmill and then a 'core strengthening' class..OUCH.There were women of 70 doing better than I was with it!
I'm taking tomorrow off... me and Excedrin.
Any of you out there do Yoga? What's your take?I've only been at this a very short while.. so I'm curious if any of you have longterm results you'd like to share.
Cheers!
GOOD ON YOU!!! I've tried to keep some type of exercise routine up since I was dx'ed. Michael and I did try a Yoga class several years ago, and although we both enjoyed it, I found that my balance wasn't enough to keep up with the rest of the class. Both Michael and I had some scares where I did lose my balance and fell so I quit after 4 classes (even though I thoroughly enjoyed it!) and started back working out at the gym again. I used to swim, use the stationary bike, and had a trainer who worked with me on blance issues with a computerized machine.

Since the move, we haven't found a gym that both of us like, so I just use the exercise ball at home along with the treadmill that we have so that I can hold on. I try and exercise daily because although I'm not the happiest of people whilst doing it, I feel much better afterwards on the days I do exercise. Keep up the good work. It's not only good for you physically, but mentally I believe it helps.

All the best,
Chris

Chris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote